Thursday, April 2, 2009

Training

This weekend is three weeks out from my half-marathon race day. The training is paying off--I can feel myself getting stronger--but it is also getting more intense, so I'm feeling some sore muscles.

Last Saturday I did 16K for the second week in a row, and took an ice bath afterward. Only my fourth or fifth ice bath. I think it really helped--I felt fine Tuesday and Wednesday evening, in contrast to the week before. Six hills Tuesday, and then 6K tempo or fairly fast run last night. Today, muscles sore, I was scheduled for 8K steady, but I did a bit less than that. Lots of stretching, and another ice bath.

This weekend: 18K. The following weekend 21K, the actual race distance. The weekend before race day, a glorious taper down to 6K. This coming week and the following week, pretty much my usual runs, but the six days before race day, maybe one 10K at race pace, and not much more. I look forward to taper week like an oasis in the desert.

One wrinkle is that I'll be in Edmonton for a week. My mother-in-law passed away at the age of 90. My wife and I are going for a memorial service, and to help dispose of things. So my 21K training run,and some other pretty intense runs, will actually be there. A nice spot to run when it's not winter.

The runner's dilemma: don't overdo training, since it will be very frustrating to be injured in such a way as to be slowed down, or unable to race, or even to run. On the other hand, you will probably have a time goal, so don't undertrain and miss your target.

No comments:

Post a Comment